VMware Cloud on AWS BETA Interest: http://learn.vmware.com/37941_REG
Latest Update from AWS re:Invent 2016:
VMware and AWS Together – VMware Cloud on AWS (ENT317)
You may have heard we made a big announcement with Amazon on October 13, 2016 to be able to run VMware on AWS (#VMWonAWS is trending on Twitter on 10/14).
Currently in Technology Preview, VMware Cloud on AWS will be a new solution that makes it easy for customers to run VMware workloads on the AWS Cloud. Fully managed by VMware it will include the SDDC platform: vSphere, VSAN and NSX running in AWS. AWS has data centers in 35 Availability Zones across 13 different locations around the world (with construction underway in five more).
VMware + AWS = Win
Overview Video: http://www.vmware.com/cloud-services/vmware-cloud-aws.html
VMware on AWS Demo Video: https://youtu.be/CUm9iRhQZJE
Available in mid-2017, VMware Cloud (VMC) on AWS will be delivered, sold, and supported by VMware as an on-demand, elastically scalable service. Pricing will be made available closer to the general availability date.
This service will include all the enterprise tools you’re familiar with including vSphere, ESXi, VSAN and NSX.
- Select a cluster size and a SDDC environment is created for you in a very short time
- VMware cloud will run on native ESXi (not nested ESXi) on bare metal AWS
- Cloud containing vSphere ESXi hosts, VSAN and NSX on AWS
- VMware manages and operates the infrastructure of the VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Fully managed service, VMware will install, manage and maintain the underlying ESXi, VSAN, vCenter and NSX (patching or hardware failure remediation will be taken care of by VMware)
- Customers will be able to use vCenter to perform administrative tasks but there will be some actions like patching that will provided by VMware
- Available as a stand-alone deployment, as a Hybrid cloud deployment or as a cloud-to-cloud deployment
- With hybrid and cloud-to-cloud deployments, vCenter enhanced linked-mode provides a single pane of glass
- The entire roster of AWS compute, storage, database, analytics, mobile, and IoT services can be directly accessed from your applications. Because your VMware applications will be running in the same data centers as the AWS services, you’ll be able to benefit from fast, low-latency connectivity when you use these services to enhance or extend your applications. You’ll also be able to take advantage of AWS migration tools such as AWS Database Migration Service, AWS Import/Export Snowball, and AWS Storage Gateway.
- NSX extends this single pane of glass by providing consistent network and security services between the various deployments. However, NSX is not a requirement!
- With the ability to span networks and clouds, you can even vMotion from your existing on-premises vSphere environment to AWS! Imagine DRS across to AWS.
- Elastic scaling would help to solve one of the toughest challenges an IT architect can face: capacity planning, benefit from the IT-at-scale mindset and services delivered by AWS
- Auto-remediation can build upon DR solutions ensuring available host resources remain consistent during an ESXi host outage
- Ability to retain similar levels of resources during maintenance. During maintenance operations, the cluster size is not reduced, workloads are not impacted by a loss of resources and continue to perform similarly as to normal operation hours.