Welcome to 2017! This is going to be a busy and exciting year. I can feel it already. This past week has been quiet on the VMware news front. VMware is shifting to a new Fiscal calendar to follow Dell’s Fiscal calendar. So, the month of January will be our fiscal year 2017 and starting in February we will begin our Q1 of 2018.
Below is a summary of VMware updates from this past week.
- 5 Ways Hyperconverged Infrastructure Increases Partner Profitability – VMware VP of Storage and Availability, Lee Caswell says channel partners should embrace hyperconverged infrastructure.
Reason #1: HCI sales cycles are 4x faster than classic storage.
Reason #2: HCI consolidates partner training time and cost.
Reason #3: HCI introduces value-added data protection services.
Reason #4: HCI helps maximize partner program dollars.
Reason #5: HCI may lower the cost of delivering support.
- 5 Weird and Wonderful Things we’ve learned from CES 2017 –
- Augmented reality (AR) is huge.
- “Voice is the next computer interface.”
- Android devices now include cars and bikes.
- Wearables aren’t just health trackers.
- VR comes in your shoe size.
- Implementing network virtualization in Herning Municipality
Mikael Korsgaard Jensen, Server Manager believe the future will offer more examples of municipal operating partnerships, and these will be easier to achieve if they are working with network virtualization. With NSX, the security in their networks will be enhanced enabling them to communicate safely.
- Harnessing the Internet of Things – Everyone has heard about the Internet of Things (IoT). But what is it, exactly? One useful definition puts it this way: “It’s not so much about the emergence of new technology, it’s the convergence—the ability to use sensors for everything in the world to basically be a computer, whether it’s your contact lens, your hospital bed, or a railway track.”
- VMware vRealize Code Stream 2.2.0 is now GA – VMware vRealize Code Stream provides release automation and continuous delivery to enable frequent, reliable software releases while reducing operational risks
- Reviewer’s Guide for View in Horizon 7 – The Reviewer’s Guide for View in VMware Horizon 7: Overview is a comprehensive technical overview of the View component of VMware Horizon 7. The View component (formerly the product called Horizon View) offers a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and published applications through Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH)
- VMware Integrated OpenStack v3.0 What’s New – VMware’s latest OpenStack distribution gives you the new features and enhancements included in the latest Mitaka release, an optimized management control plane architecture, and the ability to leverage existing workloads in your OpenStack cloud.
- Oracle on VMware vSAN – Dispelling the Licensing myths – There are myths floating around that
- Oracle Licensing requires licensing every vSphere host attached to a given vCenter
- Oracle licensing requires licensing every Site connected to the Primary site where the Oracle workloads primarily resides
These myths are perpetuated by overzealous licensing and sales teams which is in contrast of the reality of the actual Contractually Impactful documents.
- Get step-by-step guidance for installing, configuring & managing VMware products & solutions – The VMware Feature Walkthrough site provides step-by-step guidance for installing, configuring & managing VMware products & solutions.
- vRealize Production Test 1.7.0 is now GA – This tool was created from the ground up by the Management BU Engineering Services Organization to help customers monitor their vRealize Suite tools in a production setting and ensure they are functioning as expected.