This has been a very busy week for me where I had the opportunity to get in front of my partners for some face-to-face enablement. VMware also reported its Q4 and full year 2016 earnings and vSAN hits 7,000+ customers with more than 2x customers than 2015; $300M run rate with over 150% YoY growth. NSX is now at a $1 Billion run rate. With End User Computing (EUC), greater 67,000+ customers with mid-teens YoY growth, AirWatch greater than 30% YoY growth and VMware has also gained shares vs Citrix and MobileIron. These are tremendous numbers! I want to congratulate every one of you for making this happen!
Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- VMware Reports 4Q & Full-Year Earnings & vSAN Hits 7K Customers – StorageReview.com – Not only is VMware reporting some terrific earnings numbers, they are also announcing 7,000 customers for the Hyper-Converged, software powered infrastructure solution vSAN.
- VMware Internet of Things Solutions: Harnessing the Power of IoT – via VMware Radius – VMware Internet of Things (IoT) solutions meet the unique challenges of the unprecedented size and scale of IoT networks.
- University of New Hampshire Modernizes its Data Centers to Meet Demands and Reduce Risk (NSX, vRealize Suite, Log Insight) – The University of New Hampshire (UNH) has transformed security and modernized its data center. VMware NSX has been critical for UNH to reduce operating costs, secure its users, meet compliance, and better manage traffic within its SDDC environment integrating with the vRealize Suite and Log Insight.
- Customer Focus: University of South Carolina Upstate – College Students Learn Anywhere, Any Time with Spartan GreenSky – via VMware EUC Blog (Horizon, App Volumes, vSAN) – At the University of South Carolina Upstate, with campuses in Spartanburg and Greenville, a lot of students take a non-traditional path to college, combining higher ed with work, family and Real Life 101. To increase availability of University resources for online and on-demand education, USC Upstate turned to VMware for solutions.
- Marriott Evolves the Guest Experience with VMware [Video] #VMware #EUC #EndUserComputing #DigitalWorkspace – Learn how digital workspaces transform businesses at http://www.vmware.com/products/digital-workspace.html. As more people rely on digital tools to book accommodations and other hotel services, Marriott extended its infrastructure to the public cloud and enhanced guest services using an integrated compute, network and storage environment supported by VMware. By modernizing its data center environment with VMware solutions that build on existing tools and skill sets, Marriott accelerated services time to market and adopted a scalable, cost-effective strategy to support growth, while empowering employees with the latest digital capabilities.
- [Video] IBM + VMware = choice with consistency – Go from months to minutes when you use VMware Cloud Foundation to implement and deploy a VMware environment. Using the advanced automation developed through the partnership between IBM and VMware, you can consistently deploy the unified software-defined VMware platform to the cloud. And you continue to use the same familiar tools and scripts to manage your workloads in the cloud without having to retool or refactor applications. To learn more about IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions, visit: https://console.ng.bluemix.net/infrastructure/vmware-solutions/dashboard
- Manx Telecom calls on NFV and VMware to Transform its Operating Model – Manx Telecom’s CEO and CiTO explain why they moved to a software defined service delivery platform using the NFV framework, and how working with VMware has accelerated time to market and reduced the cost base for new services. https://www.vmware.com/go/nfv
- Designing vSAN Networks – Why Should I Use the Distributed Switch? – The vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS) is a powerful, but often misunderstood technology that is included with VMware vSAN. This post will review some of my favorite settings on the VDS, and how you can use them to get better control, performance, and visibility into your virtual SAN cluster.
- Two host stretched vSAN cluster with Standard license? – via Yellow Bricks – I was asked today if it was possible to create a 2 host stretched cluster using a vSAN Standard license or a ROBO Standard license. First of all, from a licensing point of view the EULA states you are allowed to do this with a Standard license.
- New Reviewer’s Guide for View in VMware Horizon 7 – A Series of Mini-Guides – via VMware EUC Blog – I am very happy to announce that we just posted the first four mini-guides in a series of seven to bring you the latest update of View, the main component of VMware Horizon 7! Unlike previous Reviewer’s Guides, you are getting the latest updates literally as soon as we complete each section. The result? Shorter pieces that are easier to digest.
- vCenter Server Appliance File-Based Restore – via Victor Virtualization – After you backup the configuration of vCenter Server Appliance, you can restore the backup file from vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 Installer.
- vSphere Optimization Assessment (VOA) Enhanced Evaluation – Improve your vSphere configuration, performance and capacity utilization with a free vSphere Optimization Assessment enhanced evaluation. Get started now.
- SAP HANA: 3 Ways to Improve Monitoring and Optimize Performance – via VMware Cloud Management Blog – Knowing how your SAP HANA environment and underlying infrastructure are being used — as well as insight into potential issues that may be lurking — can help you better extend functionality to optimize performance across your IT stack. With the newly updated SAP HANA Management Pack for vRealize Operations from Blue Medora, gain end-to-end visibility into your SAP HANA environment to see key metrics related to health, performance and availability.