This past week I was in Austin, TX at DockerCon as well as attending a Dell EBC in Round Rock. This was my first year attending DockerCon. For a summary recap, please check this post on my blog.
One thing that I got out of this conference is that Docker Containers are now mainstream. Companies like Visa, MetLife, PayPal and intuit was at the conference discussing how they shifted from traditional application development using Java or .Net to using Containers. VMware released vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1 and Photon Platform 1.2 during the conference.
vSAN 6.6 was GA last week, 04/18/2017. Make sure you upgrade to get all the new features.
04/25/2017 San Francisco VMUG Meeting
04/25/2017 Atlanta VMUG Meeting
04/26/2017 Charlotte VMUG Meeting
04/26/2017 Denver VMUG UserCon
04/27/2017 Ventura County VMUG Meeting
04/28/2017 Northwest South Carolina VMUG Meeting
05/04 WebCast – How CenturyLink Modernized Their Infrastructure with vSAN – CenturyLink is one of the world’s largest cloud-hosting and infrastructure providers. Join our 5/4 webcast to learn how they stay scalable with vSAN!
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- Check Point Partner Success Story – RoundTower on vSEC Solution – success story highlighting the features and benefits of vSEC for VMware NSX advanced security for the Software-Defined Data Center. Check Point vSEC integration with VMware NSX delivers dynamic orchestration of advanced threat prevention for all traffic in the Software-Defined Data Center.
- The Modern CIO’s Agenda: Cloud, Mobility, and Security – Cloud, mobility, and security are infrastructure priorities for companies worldwide. Here’s what CIOs need to know to keep moving the business forward.
- Bacon and vSAN/NSX? SugarCreek Transforms Storage Across Their Data Center – vSAN and NSX across 2 clusters. 99% virtualized. SugarCreek has manufactured bacon products for 50 years, seeking constant innovation to provide better infrastructure to improve systems for optimizing production and distribution in their plants. As they faced common business challenges for increasing production while retaining quality and reducing costs, they turned to VMware vSAN for a storage solution that allows them to support the most demanding of mission critical business applications in the simplest, most cost-effective manner.
- Register for Partner Exchange at VMworld 2017 – Partner Exchange takes place in Las Vegas on August 27 and in Barcelona on September 11 and the content this year is as robust as ever. At this exclusive partner event, you will hear about the latest industry trends, product innovations, and joint go-to-market opportunities and participate in solution keynotes relevant to your business. You will also gain access to the Partner Exchange Lounge, open all week for partners to meet, network and relax. Act now and include Partner Exchange with…
- Software-defined data center: a strategic journey, not a technical destination – Your car might be partially software-defined without your knowledge, just as I found out not long ago. Now I don’t drive a Tesla, which was built from the ground-up with a majority of software-defined components. I drive your everyday, traditionally designed vehicle. Just by looking at it, you’d have no idea it included software-defined components. So how did I stumble upon this fact?
- New Hands-on Labs and Chance to win a DJI Mavic Pro Drone -Folks, We are incredibly happy to announce our latest release of Hands-on Labs and a very cool DJI Drone Raffle Giveaway for taking any of our eligible Hands-on Labs. Please visit our official contest site for more details Contest runs from April 19th to May 19th 2017 Giveaway is for US residents only, sorry no VMware employees.
- Log Insight 4.3: VMware Identity Manager Integration – sflanders.net – Log Insight has featured a Tech Preview of VMware Identity Manager (VIDM) integration for the last two releases. I am happy to announce that as of Log Insight 4.3, this feature is now fully supported. Read on to learn more!
- Introducing vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1 and Photon Platform 1.2 – New releases of vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1 and Photon Platform 1.2 deliver significant user experience improvements and enhancements. vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1 Delivers New User Experience Enhancements and Photon Platform 1.2 Delivers New Features Across Storage, Networking, and Security for Kubernetes
- vSAN 6.6 – What’s In It For Service Providers @VMwarevSAN @VMwareSP #MeetvSAN66
- Profiling Applications with VMware User Environment Manager, Part 3: Built-In and Custom Exclusions – Windows applications tend to write registry and file system data in a variety of locations. A portion of the data is relevant to persisting the user experience from session to session, and that of course is what we are interested in when profiling an application to provide personalization. Most applications also create files we may not want to persist, such as temp, log, and crash dump files. Depending on the application and how it is used, these files may quickly grow in size, negatively impacting the user experience.
- Weathervane, a benchmarking tool for virtualized infrastructure and clouds – now open source! – Weathervane is a performance benchmarking tool developed at VMware. It lets you assess the performance of your virtualized or cloud environment by driving a load against a realistic application and capturing relevant performance metrics. You might use it to compare the performance characteristics of two different environments, or to understand the performance impact of some change in an existing environment.
- VMware AirWatch 101: Per-App VPN [blogs.vmware.com/euc] – Per-App Virtual Private Network (VPN) functionality changes the game for securing remote mobile endpoints. VPN connections enable end users to access internal resources from anywhere and on any device. However, traditional VPN solution lack the intelligence to distinguish between personal and productive apps, allowing access to ALL the device’s apps. VMware AirWatch per-app VPN establishes connectivity at an application level, instead of on a per-device basis. When an authorized app launches, VMware Tunnel establishes a silent connection for seamless and secure access.
- Cloud Pod Architecture feature in Horizon 7 version 7.1, part one – This video covers the cloud pod architecture feature in Horizon 7, version 7.1. This is part one in a three part series.