Last week I was out in New Jersey with one of our resellers. We covered some vSAN enablement as well as did a very successful Call Campaign regarding vSAN out to our customers on Wednesday. I was able to participate in 5 calls, of which 4 of them had interests in vSAN. One customer was thinking about moving his budget from traditional SAN in favor of vSAN. The interest in Hyper-Converged infrastructure is tremendous this year. I now brand 2017 as the year of vSAN! *Inside joke there for those in the VDI space. 🙂 Seriously, if you have not looked at vSAN you really should. vSAN 6.6 is production-ready with lots of features.
I also got a chance to visit CitiField to watch the Mets play. This was nostalgic for me since I grew up in Flushing, NY and remembered when they beat the Red Sox in the ’86 World Series. Growing up I used to watch the Yankees more, so you can say I’m actually more a Yankees fan than a Mets fan.
This year I will be a Hands on Lab Captain again. For those that don’t know, I worked on the vCloud Air Data Center Extension Hands on Lab last year which showed the Cross-Cloud vMotion as well as Advanced Networking Services. With VMware divesting vCloud Air to OVH, this year I will be working on VMware Cloud Hybrid Services (vCHS) with Cloud Foundation Tech Preview.
05/03/2017 – Baton Rouge VMUG Meeting, 11:30AM – 1:00PM
05/04/2017 – North Central Wisconsin VMUG Meeting, 8:30AM – 4:00PM
05/04/2017 – Detroit VMUG Meeting 5:30PM – 7:30PM
05/05/2017 – Dallas-Fort Worth VMUG Meeting 9:00AM – 4:00PM
05/02 WebCast – Next Gen Infrastructure: Why VMware Customers are Upgrading to vSphere 6.5 – Find out how VMware customers benefited from upgrading to vSphere 6.5. During this webcast, VMware technical experts will review common business challenges and benefits of upgrading.
05/02 WebCast – Explore the Latest Workspace ONE and AirWatch 9.1 Release – On March 14th, VMware announced new innovations to the workspace ONE solution with AirWatch 9.1, making it easier than ever for enterprise IT to deliver a digital workspace for all employees.
05/04 WebCast – How CenturyLink Modernized Their Infrastructure with vSAN –CenturyLink is one of the world’s largest cloud-hosting and infrastructure providers. Join our 5/4 webcast to learn how they stay scalable with vSAN!
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- AWS has reached a $14 billion annual run rate. Amazon Dominates the Cloud as AWS Revenue Soars in Q1 – Amazon Web Services continued to dominate the cloud services sector with AWS revenue accounting for most of its profits in Q1. The cloud services leader grew its net sales 43 percent year-over-year to $3.7 billion for the quarter ending March 31. This compares to $2.6 billion in the first quarter 2016.Amazon’s earnings, reported after the market closed on April 27, beat analysts’ expectations and sent the company’s stock up nearly 2 percent by mid-day April 28.
- Travis Central Appraisal District, Austin, TX Protects Data with New Digital Workspace – Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD) appraises all real and business personal property within all of Travis County, Texas. With a secure design of VMware NSX, Horizon and AirWatch, TCAD meets its security needs, transforms desktops into a mobile workspace, as well as meet strict regulatory compliance in the industry.
- #HPE kills off its entire #OpenSDN line, pulls plug on customer demos. OpenSDN controller, VPN, and SFC lines – ISPs told they’ll have to find another vendor
- #Security for smart cities and #IoT – Cities all over the world have started to use the Internet of Things (IoT) to manage their urban infrastructure more efficiently, a concept known as ‘smart cities.’ But IT teams are still confused about cloud security, with many adopting conflicting strategies toward cloud security and IoT.
- Big Data, IoT-Driven Apps Reforming Healthcare – CXOtoday.com – Medical Apps powered by Big Data and Internet of Things can help doctors share best practices as well as treat patients internationally.
- VMware, CENIC Collaborate to Support Research and Education in California, Favorable terms and pricing for 10,000 California institutions – The collaboration extends VMware’s industry-leading virtualization and cloud solutions for education to CENIC’s 10,000 member institutions statewide. Universities, schools, libraries and other cultural, scientific and arts organizations can now purchase VMware’s products that simplify complex IT environments for end users, accelerate digital transformation and positively impact student learning at favorable terms and prices.
- Fujitsu, VMware, to play with cars in the cloud – Fujitsu and VMware are collaborating on the Fujitsu OTA Reprograming Solution, which will be combined with VMware IoT solutions for connected car and autonomous driving solutions.
- VMwareVoice: Artificial Intelligence Is Changing The Cloud Business – AI is a broad term that refers to using computers to mimic human intelligence. It relies on rules-based logic, decision trees, and other formal methods to emulate the thinking of human beings.
- Retail Tech Trends: AirWatch: IoT, AR, cloud advancements—here’s what’s hot & what’s not in 2017 – There’s been much buzz around the latest retail tech trends following the National Retail Federation’s (NRF) “Big Show 2017.” The overwhelming display of innovation this year focused on three key areas that are transforming the retail industry: the Internet of Things (IoT), augmented/virtual reality, and cloud advancements. Retailers looking to maintain a competitive edge will need to invest in these three areas. – See more at: https://www.vmware.com/radius/retail-tech-trends-whats-hot-and-whats-not-in-2017/#sthash.O9Mtom66.dpuf
- VMware NSX Vision and Product Overview with Milin Desai – Milin Desai, Vice President of Products, NSBU at VMware, gives the delegates an overview of NSX, including the rationale behind it’s development, and how people are using it. NSX operates with a focus on applications, by decoupling them from the concerns of underlying architecture, which allows for better automation and security.
- #NSX #Training & #Certification : Make your journey to the SDDC a reality with expert NSX training from VMware! – VMware NSX™ is the network virtualization and security platform for the software-defined data center. NSX brings virtualization to your existing network and transforms network operations and economics by delivering a completely new operational model for networking.
- vSAN 6.6 Stretched Clusters – Capacity Considerations when using Local Protection or Site Affinity – vSAN’s ability to provide a fully active-active, stretched cluster has already been proven. vSAN 6.6 takes this a step further, allowing for storage redundancy within a site AND across sites at the same time.
- VMware and Open Source: A Commitment to Innovation and Collaboration – Why VMware, one of the world’s largest software companies, understands open source software is critical for innovation and collaboration.
- Bootstrap the VCSA onto vSAN 6.6 with Easy Install – If vSAN is configured by vCenter, how do you deploy vCenter on top of vSAN? Sounds a bit like a chicken and egg scenario, huh? vSAN is part of a cluster configuration in vSphere. To create a cluster, a datacenter must first be present, and that must be part of a vCenter instance. At least that’s how we configure it via the vSphere Web Client.
- Cisco UCS C3260 Storage Dense Configuration for vSAN – 96 TB per node –
One more feather in the cap of vSAN ReadyNode configuration. We now have certified Cisco UCS C3260 storage dense configuration for vSAN. You can now achieve up to 100TB of storage per node with this ReadyNode. You can see the vSAN VCG listing here.
- Announcing the All New #vSAN Networking Guide Whitepaper – I’m delighted to announce a brand new vSAN Networking Guide. This is now published on our storagehub site. This new updated guide covers everything from support statements, the basics of NIC teaming on the vSAN network, including what options are available and the pros and cons of each approach, as well as supported topologies for standard deployments, 2-node deployments and stretched clusters.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Preparing to Image your First Rack – In this video, we demonstrate how to deploy the VMware Imaging Appliance (VIA) in preparation for imaging a new Cloud Foundation rack.
- Deploying vSphere Integrated Containers (VIC) 1.1 | The Humble Lab – I Can’t Even Contain Myself…ha…ha… Now that I’ve gotten a poor joke out of the way, lets jump into something pretty exciting. VMware’s vSphere Integrated Containers version 1.1 went GA on 4/18 (see blog post here). Containers are growing quickly in popularity, and are starting to see some production usecases. I’ve been playing with them a little bit here and there in the lab; but never with any sort of major goals in mind. That being said – it’s time to step the game up.
- Better Together: VMware AirWatch Workspace ONE & Office 365 – Consider this: when it comes to securing enterprise applications, you might not have the whole story. While you may have heard that you can adequately protect your network with an Office 365 application-only security framework, in truth this approach leaves applications vulnerable. Instead, use VMware Workspace ONE which is flexible enough to provide administrative choice, yet comprehensive […]
- Interested in @vmwarehorizon Design? Help develop the class. End of June, Dallas https://t.co/Gj30Mduuk5 50% off!
REMINDER: VMworld 2017 – Registration is live & Early Bird prices end June 6th. Join us in Vegas!