This past week I was out on the East Coast again. It is always great to be able to visit my hometown in Queens, NY. There were some great NBA games this week. Is it going to be another GSW vs CLE this year? In NHL, would it be the Penguins to win the Stanley Cup again? We shall see.
Last week, many of our partners are setting up demo labs with NSX and Palo Alto Networks, Next Generation Security with VMware® NSX and Palo Alto Networks®
VM-Series. I also had the opportunity to do some training on vSphere Optimization Assessment (VOA) for a team of partner SEs.
For some reason socks are trendy at conferences, maybe we’ll do well with our VMware socks from marketing as well in future events. 🙂
Looks to be another change in my VMworld Hands on Lab duties. I will now be responsible for the IoT (Internet of Things) lab. VMware’s IoT solution was just announced at Dell EMC World with the name VMware Pulse IoT Center.
Dell EMC World
Last week many attended Dell EMC World. This is of course the first year they combined Dell and EMC. There were many announcements coming out of the conference. Here is a list of those that are relevant to VMware:
- High Level Summary: http://m.crn.com/news/cloud/300084961/pat-gelsinger-vmware-opens-up-tech-partners-to-expand-cloud-capabilities.htm?itc=hp_tax_cloud
- VMware Unveils IoT Management Solution
– VMware Unveils IoT Management Solution to Help Customers Take Control of IoT
– VMware Pulse IoT: http://www.zdnet.com/article/vmware-aims-to-manage-internet-of-things-infrastructure/
- Dell EMC VDI Complete Solutions
– VMware Introduces Integrations with Dell EMC to Accelerate Workforce Transformation
- Delivering Developer-Ready Infrastructure for Modern Application Development
– VMware and Pivotal Extend Strategic Alliance to Integrate VMware NSX and Pivotal Cloud Foundry to Deliver New “Developer-Ready Infrastructure”
– Pivotal Cloud Foundry and NSX: https://www.vmware.com/radius/dell-emc-world-developer-ready-infrastructure/
- VMware & Google Extend Partnership to Accelerate Adoption of Chromebooks
– VMware and Google Expand Partnership to Accelerate the Adoption of Chromebooks
– Brian Madden’s view of EUC news: http://www.brianmadden.com/opinion/Gabe-and-Jacks-thoughts-on-VMware-EUC-news-from-Dell-EMC-World?platform=hootsuite
– Google Chromebook Announcement: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/09/vmware-and-google-extend-partnership-to-include-chromebook-management/
- Dell & VMware Extend PC Management to the Firmware and BIOS
- Dell EMC Announcements: http://storageioblog.com/dell-emc-world-2017-day-news-announcement-summary/
- Multiple announcements/blogs from DellEMC: https://blog.dellemc.com/en-us
- On-demand General Session Keynotes: http://dellemcworld.com/live.htm#main=ondemand
There was also the OpenStack Summit in Boston last week. Edward Snowden Wakes Up the Audience at OpenStack Summit 2017 – BOSTON — At the OpenStack Summit 2017 conference, several of the keynote presenters typed programming commands on their computers while the audience watched the code on the big screens. Thrilling stuff, for sure. But the live-streamed interview with Edward Snowden from Russia, took the excitement up a notch further. VMware’s Distro of OpenStack Comes Free for vSphere Customers – Customers with current licenses for vSphere Enterprise Plus, vSphere Operations Management, or NSX with vSphere Standard can download VMware Integrated OpenStack. There is no license cost and it is distributed independently from other VMware products. Download it now. If you would like support for VMware Integrated OpenStack, a per-CPU annual fee will apply, and the minimum support order is 50 CPUs. Singh said VIO is a good choice because so many enterprises already run VMware’s vSphere virtualization platform. “You get the classic standard VMware substrate that this thing runs on,” he said. “You already know how to run vSphere, VSAN, and NSX. It’s really easy to spin up VIO. You can spin it up in a day. You don’t have to have this 30-40 engineer production to set this up.” Amadeus Transforms Travel Industry Services with Private Cloud Based on VMware Integrated OpenStack.
Upcoming VMUG Meetings
05/17/2017 – Raleigh VMUG Meeting 12:00PM – 4:00PM
05/17/2017 – Wichita VMUG Meeting 12:30PM – 4:30PM
05/17/2017 – Indianapolis VMUG Meeting 2:30PM – 5:30PM
05/17/2017 – Maryland VMUG Meeting 4:00PM – 7:00PM
05/18/2017 – Minneapolis VMUG Meeting 8:30AM – 3:30PM
05/19/2017 – Rochester, MN VMUG Meeting 9:00AM – 4:00PM
05/19/2017 – El Paso VMUG Meeting 11:00AM – 3:00PM
Top 10 Secrets to a Successful Upgrade
May 16, 2017 10:00 a.m. PDT
Upgrades – even with the industry’s leading virtualization platform – can be unpredictable. During this webcast, learn from our technical experts who will share common do’s and don’ts so that you can avoid the mistakes made by others.
Taking GPU-powered Desktops to the Cloud with VMware and NVIDIA
May 17, 2017 10:00 a.m. PDT
Over the last few years we’ve started to see widespread adoption of GPU accelerated virtual desktops for customers who need to provide secure access to graphics-intensive applications from anywhere, anytime and on any device. Now we’re making it easier than ever to deliver powerful Windows desktops backed by NVIDIA GRID technology with the speed, simplicity, and flexibility of a cloud service.
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- Pat Gelsinger, VMware – Dell EMC World 2017 – Pat Gelsinger, CEO, VMware sits down with theCUBE at Dell EMC World 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Pat Gelsinger: VMware Opens Up Tech Partners To Expand Cloud Capabilities – VMware on Tuesday unveiled partnerships aimed at further integrating its virtualization and cloud technology with that of several tech industry heavyweights including AWS, Google, Pivotal, and Dell EMC.
- NSX is one of the biggest market opportunities for VMware: Rajiv Ramaswami, COO, Products and Services, VMware – ET CIO – We started out with NSX primarily deployed in vSphere environments in the private cloud. That continues to be the biggest market opportunity for us.
- Unified IoT Management Is Aim of VMware Offering – At Dell EMC World in Las Vegas today, VMware announced an ambitious IoT infrastructure management and monitoring technology strategy that the company said will provide a unified means to manage, operate, scale and secure IoT projects from the edge to the cloud.
- VMware and Google extend partnership to include Chrome OS management in Workspace One – One of the beautiful things about owning a Google Chromebook laptop is the surprising lack of maintenance involved. The browser is essentially the OS and you connect to applications via the cloud. Everything gets updated automatically. Easy, peasy right?
- Digital Transformation: A Journey VMware Partners Can Lead -As a VMware Partner, you have the ability to accelerate the digital transformation journey and achieve successful outcomes for your customers. Penton Media recently sat down with Chris Wolf, CTO Global Field and Industry at VMware, to talk about the digital transformation journey. Watch the FastChat below as they expand on questions such as:
- What strategic IT priorities relative to digital transformation should partners be addressing for their customers?
- How does VMware collaborate with partners to accelerate digital transformation for customers?
- How can partners find out more?
- Open vSwitch Day at OpenStack Summit 2017 – Open vSwitch Open Source Day happening at the OpenStack Summit in Boston. Summaries of each of the presentations are included below.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry and NSX – In this light board session, Merlin Glynn, Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer of VMware, provides an overview of Pivotal Cloud Foundry and VMware NSX, and explains how NSX provides virtual networking and security for Pivotal Cloud Foundry.
- Catch a Glimpse of Zero-Touch vSphere Auto Deploy Clusters from Tomorrow – Learn more about a new Host Profiles Fling utility that previews a capability allowing vSphere administrators to fully customize stateless hosts prior to ever booting on the network, delivering a true zero-touch cluster deployment workflow. The post Catch a Glimpse of Zero-Touch vSphere Auto Deploy Clusters from Tomorrow appeared first on VMware vSphere Blog.
- Containers on vRealize Automation – Version 7.2 of vRealize Automation introduced containers to the vRA solution. This post is designed to get you up and running with some basic containers and give you the tools needed to deploy some of your own containers in your environment.
- How to Drive Better SAP Performance with Virtualization Layer Visibility – By: Christian Fernando When using SAP native tools such as SAP Solution Manager, it lacks visibility into the underlying virtualization layers, which can result in a blind spot in understanding the complete performance story. The virtualization layer includes the virtual machine, ESXi server, CPU, memory and storage. The ability to quickly see contention of The post How to Drive Better SAP Performance with Virtualization Layer Visibility appeared first on VMware Cloud Management.
- VMUG Advantage EvalExperience adds VMware #NSX – Walkthrough – We had written a blurb just a little while ago about the hinting of the addition of VMware NSX to VMUG Advantage EvalExperience. This was an exciting rumbling as it has been a highly requested addition that would simply sweeten the deal of the already great deal of EvalExperience. Well, the wait and anticipation is finally over! If you are like me you may have been excited to receive the email communication today making it official – VMUG Advantage EvalExperience adds VMware NSX.
- VMware AirWatch 9.1: Your Top 12 Questions Answered – Our recent VMware AirWatch 9.1 webinar explored new capabilities introduced in our most recent release. Thank you to everyone who was able to join us for the live event. If you were not able to join live, check out the replay here. Due to time constraints, we did not get to all of your questions
- What’s New with VMware Horizon 7.1 and NVIDIA GRID – registration required #VMware #Horizon #Nvidia – Together, VMware Horizon and NVIDIA GRID™ power enterprise virtual workspaces with an immersive, high quality user experience. Now with the latest features of VMware Horizon 7.1, it’s even easier to setup and deploy, providing the security, performance, reliability, and collaboration needed to transform your business.