A bit delayed on the update this week and that is because I’m out in Beijing, China helping with a NSX LiveFire training. For partners interested in future LiveFire sessions, please reach out to your Partner Managers.
Last week I was in Austin, TX again participating in some Partner training. I delivered a quick 60 minutes whiteboard on vSAN and NSX during an event. There were some lively discussions. Many realized the power of NSX and the disruptive positive changes on how NSX can transform a traditional data center into a more agile and automated environment. vSAN is an easier sell for most, but NSX is a huge game changer. We talked about the 3 most common use cases for NSX:
- Security with Microsegmentation
- Network virtualization with Automation
- Application Continuity/Disaster Recovery
I also participated in some Sales enablement where we trained them on NSX, vRealize, vSAN and Workspace ONE (Horizon/AirWatch). It felt like speed dating as we rotate the teams of sales reps around the room.
Things are heating up with our Partners on VMware Network Assessment. This is where we use vRealize Network Insight (vRNI) as a tool to assess the customer’s virtual network. We are seeing an average of 80-90% of traffic as East-West traffic. This is the VM-to-VM traffic. Most companies find difficulties in securing this traffic and this is where NSX can provide a solution to our customers. This fills the void that many of our customers are looking for. In fact, in an upcoming Top Gun Tech Thursdays session, I plan on showing how we can use vRNI to export recommended Microsegmentation security policies and import them into NSX as well as the Application Rules Manager built-in to NSX.
Upcoming VMUG Meetings
05/23/2017 – Central Ohio VMUG UseCon
05/25/2017 – Wisconsin VMUG UseCon
05/25/2017 – Silicon Valley VMUG Meeting
05/31/2017 – Omaha VMUG Meeting
06/01/2017 – Boston Summer VMUG UserCon and EUC Explore
Desktop and application virtualization continue to gain ground, and as we head into 2017- VMware will be introducing a number of new innovations designed to streamline management, enhance security, improve user experience and drive down costs. What’s more we will be making these innovations accessible for customers looking to deliver these workloads on prem or in the cloud. Join this session to find out more about what’s new with Horizon and where we are headed. This session will be jam-packed with demos.
Network and security operations traditionally have been handled by two different operations teams, although much of the same operations data is used, but differently on whether the operations team is troubleshooting a connectivity problem, or a security breach. Log data, traffic data, and API based data from the various different network devices are used by both Network and Security operations. vRealize Network Insight (vRNI) offers use cases for both teams, all from the same data collection sources.
Organizations around the world are experiencing a major shift as business goes digital. This digital transformation is reshaping the way enterprises operate, and opening the doors to new opportunities. Traditional, hardware-centric data centers can’t keep up with the faster pace. The digital economy requires a modern, software-defined data center that can securely extend to the public cloud.
Creating a demilitarized zone (DMZ) is an effective way to keep public and private assets separate, limiting the impact of security breaches. But since not all workloads in the DMZ are the same, they may have different vulnerabilities and risks. By using NSX in your DMZ, you can reduce the risk of mixed workloads becoming compromised, as well as lower response time and automate the actions and responses to incidents.
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- Nice Success Story on Digital Workspace with Dallas Parkland Hospital using VMware Horizon and AirWatch
- Memorial Healthcare Protects Patient Data with a Secure Digital Clinical Workspace – Memorial Healthcare is a 150-bed facility in Michigan, the only hospital in its area. It is increasing user satisfaction and decreasing costs with digital workspaces to allow staff to access the apps and data they need anytime, anywhere. To transform security and protect patient data, Memorial Healthcare has deployed NSX along with AirWatch and Horizon to ensure secure endpoints and app infrastructure, while streamlining compliance. The hospital is also leveraging the opportunity to offer a secure, data center infrastructure to other hospitals in the greater region. Learn more about VMware’s Secure Digital Clinical Workspace at http://www.vmware.com/solutions/industry/healthcare/point-of-care.html
- Missed The Latest VMware Announcements In The Past Month? Check Out This Summary!Missed The Latest VMware Announcements In The Past Month? Check Out This Summary! – Have you been busy lately and haven’t keep up to date with the latest VMware announcements over the last month or two? If so, you have missed quite a bit!
- VMware Completes Wavefront Acquisition – I’m pleased to announce that the Wavefront acquisition is officially closed. We’ve passed all the hurdles, and done all the paperwork, and now Wavefront is now officially part of VMware. Wavefront is, of course, the leading metrics monitoring service for cloud and modern application environments.
- VMware Acquires Apteligent: Analytics for the Digital Workspace – End-to-End Performance Management from Mobile Devices to Infrastructure Across Private and Public Clouds Organizations are increasingly building mobile and cloud applications as part of their digital transformation journey. As they embrace these applications to conduct business and perform mission-critical processes and tasks, negative end-user experiences affect engagement and productivity, which can directly impact revenue.
- VMware’s Pulse IoT Platform Focuses on the Sweet Spot – VMware is hoping to bring its expertise in data center management, monitoring, and security to the IoT with its VMware Pulse IoT Center.
- Shrinking Emissions Through Virtualization | VMware – The collective impact of customers using VMware’s server virtualization products is estimated to have avoided 340 million MT CO2e over the last 13 years*. Having pioneered the development of server virtualization technologies, we’ve significantly increased the operational efficiency of IT resources and reduced the number of servers needed. In fact, every server virtualized is estimated to avoid the output of 4 tons of CO2 per year.
- AT&T Wavers on OpenStack Commitment – OpenStack faces an uncertain long-term future at AT&T after a senior executive involved with the company’s SDN and NFV program declined to rule out replacing it with an alternative technology.
- AT&T Sees SDN & NFV Investments Beginning to Self-Fund – AT&T said investments towards greater control of its network operations using SDN and NFV are beginning to pay off.
- vRealize Automation 7.3 is Released! – What’s New – Part 1 – Oh my god I can’t believe that this is only a dot-release as you read through the What’s New section in the vRA 7.3 Release Notes, looking at the massive amount of features we are releasing with this release, its just mind blowing. I can’t describe the amount of excitement that I m experiencing right now…
- Deeper Native NSX Integration with vRealize Automation 7.3
- New Puppet Enterprise plugin for vRealize Automation, now integrated in the vRA GUI
- New VMware Fling – Autopology (Drag and Drop NSX Network Topologies? Yes Please!) – The VMware Fling labs is one of my favourite things, as it brings some awesome new tech straight from VMware R&D. Some of these flings flow to the product cycles (remember the HTML5 client, now default in vCenter?). And they did it again!
- VMware vSAN 6.6 Overview Demo – Join Duncan Epping for a walk through of vSAN’s newest update 6.6. Learn about the latest feature updates: Configuration assist, firmware updates, stretched cluster local protection, resync throttling, HTML5 host client and much more.
- Mware Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure – VMware Horizon Cloud Virtual Clients To Run on Microsoft Azure — Redmondmag.com – VMware is bringing its new Horizon Cloud virtual app and desktop as a service to Microsoft Azure later this year. Microsoft Azure will represent the largest and only the second public cloud service available to date for Horizon Cloud customers.
- Monitor hybrid, multi-cloud architectures with the new Microsoft Azure Management Pack for vROPS – Digital transformation is accelerating as more and more enterprises work to create and innovate by taking advantage of cloud. Research shows that in the near future, over 90% of enterprises…Posted in All other vStuff by Dimitri de Swart Leave A Comment The post Monitor hybrid, multi-cloud architectures with the new Microsoft Azure Management Pack for vROPS appeared first on VMGuru .
- Announcing VMware vRealize Operations Endpoint Operations for Hyper-V – Explore more than a 1000 cloud ready virtual applications in the VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace. Browse and search through the largest library of virtual appliances and applications for cloud computing.
- Take a sneak peak at the new VMware Docs Beta site – The new VMware Docs Beta site features depth product information, videos and more
- The Illustrated Children’s Guide to Kubernetes – Written and performed by Matt Butcher Illustrated by Bailey Beougher Follow the adventures of Phippy the Giraffe, Captain Kube, and Goldie the Gopher as they discover Kubernetes pods, replication controllers, services, and volumes. Get silly and serious at the same time with this lighthearted introduction to core Kubernetes concepts.