I have been M.I.A. the past couple of week traveling and catching up with some internal enablement and some Q2 planning. I cannot believe it is June already. NBA Finals is in full swing with the Golden State Warriors up 2-0. Pittsburgh Penguins lead the Stanley Cups 2-1. So, things are progressing as I had predicted.
I was out in Beijing, China 2 weeks ago helping with a NSX LiveFire training. It was exciting to see the technology being used all over the world. In China, NSX is being looked at mostly in the Telecommunications and our vCloud Air Network (vCAN) Service Providers. While I was in China, I also took the opportunity to visit Chengdu to visit a Panda Research Park and Xi’an to visit the Terracotta warriors. Here is a photo album if you care to see some views from China.
- NSX grew > 50% year/year
- vSAN grew > 150% year/year
- EUC grew 20% year/year
We recently had enablement around our End User Computing (EUC) TestDrive Demo Portal for our partners. This is a great resource for partners to demo the end to end capabilities of our entire EUC portfolio. I especially like the AirWatch demo where I can plugin my iOS or Android device register with the server and push down mobile applications to it. There are so many capabilities with our EUC platform from Mobile to VDI to Application streaming/virtualization. Please do not miss this opportunity to talk about Workspace ONE with your customers on Digital Transformation. I have also recently been asked what is the difference between AirWatch and Workspace ONE, so here is a comparison table.
I have been getting some questions on the difference between vSphere with Operations Management and vRealize Operations. Remember vSOM = vSphere Enterprise Plus + vROps Standard. vROps Standard gives you the capability to monitor your vSphere environment. With vROps Advanced and Enterprise, you can add on Management Packs that can monitor physical server, storage, networking, as well as GuestOS and applications (Enterprise Edition). You can find these Management Packs on SolutionExchange under Cloud Management Marketplace. We also have the Blue Medora True Visibility Suite that can be offered as a VMware SKU to provide additional Management Packs.
For those that are still using Capacity Planner, I was recently informed there is now a new URL at http://optimize-next.vmware.com/index.cfm
vForum Online Summer 2017 is coming up on June 28th — VMware’s largest free online conference. We’ve got some great sessions around vSAN and modern infrastructure, plus live chats with the experts and Hands on Labs. Please share this reg link with the IT community and prospective customers.
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- VMware Increases Guidance Following Strong Growth In NSX, VSAN And End User Computing – VMware Cloud on AWS service is currently in beta, with general available expected to be in mid-2017, but in the meantime strong vSAN software-defined storage and NSX software-defined networking sales are driving new business.
- [Video] Western Carolina University Extends Digital Workspace Solutions Campus-Wide – Nestled in the mountain town of Cullowhee, Western Carolina University (WCU) is the westernmost school in the University of North Carolina system. From the residence hall to the science lab, the school is extending digital workspace solutions to all corners of the campus and beyond. WCU was the first campus in the University of North […]
- Transforms the Way Employees Work and Engage with Customers – Sprint – To empower people with mobile connectivity, Sprint uses VMware technology to make everyday business practices mobile across the company. In retail stores, associates use managed tablets to move away from static point-of-sale systems and increase engagement with customers on the floor. In its corporate offices, Sprint is converging desktop and mobile. The company has deployed VMware solutions to provide secure digital workspaces with virtual desktops and to enable employees’ personal mobile devices for business use. Learn more about VMware digital workspace solutions: http://www.vmware.com/it-priorities/empower-digital-workspace.html
- How VMware Moved from Cloud Provider to Cloud Enabler – InformationWeek – Chris Wolf, Global Field and Industry CTO for VMware at the InformationWeek News Desk.
- VMware Surges Ahead in the Virtual SAN Sector with vSAN 6.6 – VMware vSAN 6.6 debuts with improved performance and a host of new features, including strengthened security and the vSphere Docker Volume Driver.
- Mike Feld, interim CTO, Baystate Health talks about Hyper-Converged Infrstructure (HCI) with vSAN – 01. Mike Feld, Baystate Health, visits #theCUBE!. (00:20) 02. The Scope of Baystate Health. (01:20) 03. Hyper Convergence in Health Care. (03:03) 04. What Led Baystate Health to Virtual SAN. (05:14) 05. Baystate Key Metrics and Advantages with Storage Costs with VSAN. (06:35) 06. Operational Issues with VSAN in Healthcare. (08:02) 07. Early Advanages to VSAN and What’s Left on the Wish List. (09:17) 08. Imaging Challenges to Baystate and Linear Storage Costs. (10:56) 09. Talking to Peers about Hyper Converged and VSAN. (12:29)
- How to Plan for IoT Success: Strategy and Recommendations – The Internet of Things (IoT) is poised to deliver substantial economic and operational value to almost every business process in every industry. As a matter of fact, McKinsey estimates IoT has a potential economic impact between $2.7–$6.2 trillion by 2025.1 – See more at: https://www.vmware.com/radius/plan-iot-success-strategy-recommendations/?platform=hootsuite#sthash.mXccCgWG.dpuf
- What’s New in vSphere 6.5 vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 File-Based Backup and Restore – This video covers What’s New in vSphere 6.5 vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 File-Based Backup and Restore.
- How to configure vCenter High Availability – Default Reasoning – One of the coolest features in vSphere 6.5 is the vCenter High Availability. This solution provides automated failover from active to passive vCenter node with expected RTO < 5 mins. The mechanism uses synchronous replication so there is no data loss and it operates in an Active/Passive configuration with a Witness node. vCenter High Availability feature is only available on the vCenter Server Appliance. Requirements for vCenter High Availability At least 3 ESXi version 5.5 or later DRS…Read More
- NSX Reference Poster – During the past few weeks, my NSX partner in crime, the Sr. Consultant Anderson Duboc and I have been working on a NSX Reference Poster…Read More
- Tools for Learning Puppet: Command Line, Vim & Git – Maybe you’ve heard that Puppet can help you manage servers much more efficiently, with way fewer outages. Maybe you’ve been eyeing the Learning VM or Puppet training schedules, but hesitating to sign up because your experience with command line, Vim or Git is limited….or rusty.
- Deploy Kubernetes on Photon Platform 1.2 and VSAN – To complete my series of posts on Photon Platform version 1.2, my next step is to deploy Kubernetes (version 1.6) and use my vSAN datastore as the storage destination. The previous posts covered the new Photon Platform v1.2 deployment model, and I also covered how to setup vSAN and make the datastore available to the […]
- Blogger Talk show with Wade Holmes and Mike Foley, Security in the SDDC – Wade and Mike discuss the changing security landscape in the SDDC.
- FREE online NSX Intro training: Clear and Simple VMware NSX 6.2 and vSphere Virtual Networks – Want to learn about NSX? Whether you are an absolute beginner or a CCIE this is the course for you!
REMINDER: VMworld 2017 – Registration is live & Early Bird prices end June 6th. Join us in Vegas!