Last week I was out in the Northeast Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area doing some Sales enablement with Partner reps. At one partner, we had a successful VSP Foundation 2017 (VMware Partners Only) bootcamp. I also had an enablement session with a team of State, Local and Education reps where we talked about Digital Transformation and Digital Workspace. There were reps there that have not heard of vSAN and asked if they missed the boat on selling vSAN and Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI). Absolutely not! vSAN 6.6 is taking off like a rocket and we are still going straight up. I also encountered some FUD being spread from HPe/Simplivity on vSAN. Make sure you have the customer looks at price, performance and do a total TCO analysis with our vSAN TCO Calculator.
Interesting week last week on the business front. The big news is Amazon acquiring Whole Foods for $13.7 Billion. Interesting purchase especially since Whole Foods is a major Microsoft Azure customer. See what Amazon did there? 🙂 I wonder if it will be much easier to migrate Whole Foods’ Azure to VMware Cloud (VMC) on AWS versus migrating from Azure to AWS? Who is the Sales Rep that calls on Whole Foods? Let’s talk to them about VMware Cloud on AWS!
Jaguar Land Rover partners with Lyft in $25 million investment in ride-sharing, autonomous fleet. While Uber is having all kinds of issues, Lyft is making some great partnerships. I mentioned in the past VMware is working with Fujitsu on IoT solution for the automotive industry. I wonder if there will be some collaboration with ride-sharing companies and its fleet in the future.
Top Gun Tech Thursdays
This past Thursday I presented a session on Microsegmentation Rules where we discussed the many different ways to create your NSX firewall rules. For the presentation and relevant files, please subscribe to the PartnerLink SocialCast Group.
- Using LogInsight and monitor your application flow then manually creating your firewall rules.
- Using Application Rule Manager in NSX 6.3 to automatically generate firewall rules by capturing NetFlow data.
- Using vRealize Network Insight to automatically generate firewall rules based on recommended analysis. Then import XML into NSX Manager.
- Using vRealize Network Insight to generate firewall rules then import csv using PowerNSX.
Later this month VMware will have its vForum Online event on June 28. This is the largest online event of the year! Do not miss out on this. Register HERE!
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- Temple Hospital Modernizes its Data Center to Control Costs and Focus on Patients – Temple Health moved from paper charts and legacy systems to a modernized data center leveraging vCloud Suite, vSAN, NSX, and SRM to transform their infrastructure. Security is critical as the health system has many affiliates, and needs to secure Private Health Information (PHI) data.
- New Jersey to Centralize Executive Branch IT, Boost Efficiency – Gov. Chris Christie has signed Executive Order No. 225, which directs New Jersey’s chief technology officer to oversee the centralization of IT for more than 70 executive branch agencies.
- US government weaker on cybersecurity than any other major industry | ZDNet – Even the retail and non-profit industries fared better than US government departments.
- Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2017 – Here are the top 10 strategic technology trends that will impact most organizations in 2017.
- VMware and Pivotal Collaborate to Enable App Developers Through Modernized IT – VMware and Pivotal Software are collaborating to more closely integrate Pivotal Cloud FoundryⓇ with VMware NSXⓇ, VMware vSphereⓇ, and other VMware products in order to both empower development teams and modernize enterprise infrastructure. Together, VMware and Pivotal are enabling enterprises to accelerate their cloud-native initiatives and realize meaningful changes in their business.
- Don’t Miss out on These 5 Spotlights on Security at vForum Online Summer 2017 – Struggling with today’s sprawl of apps and users? Address your latest security needs by adopting a ubiquitous software layer. Learn more at the 6/28 vForum Online.
- Delivering a First-Class Financial Customer Experience With Digital Workspaces – Client-centricity will be key in defining the mobile and in-branch banking user experiences of tomorrow.
- The Story of VMware’s Liota (Little IoT Agent) – Bask Iyer, in this article from Aug ’16, discussed VMware’s entry into the IoT market: “IoT is said to be the largest addressable market since the advent of the Internet, and the true potential of IoT has yet to be realized in the enterprise. As a company that has been delivering technology innovations to enterprises.
- How to configure Auto-Scaling for Private Cloud – Purpose: Have you checked the auto-scaling feature provided in public cloud solutions like AWS and Azure and wished to get the same feature in your private cloud environment? Do you have an existing private cloud environment or building a new one and want to make it auto-scale enabled? This post covers this exact topic. It The post How to configure Auto-Scaling for Private Cloud appeared first on VMware Cloud Management.
- vRealize Operations 6.6: “I’m too sexy for my skin!” – vRealize Operations 6.6 gets sleeker and sexier in it’s new skin! On June 13, many of the vRealize Suite components (namely vRealize Operations (vR Ops), vRealize Log Insight (vRLI), and vRealize Business for Cloud (vRBC) had an update GA release. With this latest release of vR Ops a big focus has been on “simplifying the…
- vRealize Business for Cloud 7.3: Cloud Consumption and Showback – vRealize Business for Cloud 7.3 is generally available on Jun 13, 2017! You can download the new release here and read the What’s New blog to learn more. For new customers who want to understand how cost management can drive higher cloud efficiency, here is one of the best examples for you. Use Case: Don’t Run Your IT…
- Don’t Leave Holes in Your Office 365 Security Strategy – Secure every access point to Microsoft Office 365 emails and data with VMware Workspace ONE. If your organization is like most, you’re either using Microsoft Office 365 or thinking about an Office 365 implementation. Since the data and email in Office 365 are vital to your business, you’ve probably thought through how to protect Office.
- OpenStack Boston Summit VMware Sessions Recap – Watch below to experience VMware’s Speaker Sessions at this year’s OpenStack Summit in Boston! OpenStack & VMware Getting the Best of Both Speaker: Andrew Pearce Come and understand the true value to your organization of combining Openstack and VMware. In this session you will understand the value of having a defcore / Openstack powered solution…
- Application Workload Guidance and Design for Virtualized SAP S/4HANA® on vSphere (Part 1/4) – SAP Business Suite 4 SAP HANA (or SAP S/4HANA) is the SAP Business Suite that is built on SAP’s in memory columnar database platform SAP HANA. SAP HANA®, the in-memory real-time platform, was initially introduced as a physical appliance and has steadily evolved to include support for virtualization with VMware vSphere® and SAP HANA tailored data center integration (TDI).
- Oracle on VMware vSphere & vSAN – Preparing for an the Oracle Audit – In the last post , we addressed the Licensing fuds and myths when it comes to addressing Oracle Licensing on VMware vSphere / VSAN technologies and explained how Oracle licensing DOES NOT change from a licensing perspective, whether you run Oracle workloads on a classic vSphere environment or Hyper-Converged Infrastructure solution like VSAN. FUD…
- The VMUG EVALExperience now include VMware vRealize Network Insight (vRNI)! – EVALExperience is a 365-day evaluation license for personal use in a non-production environment, offered exclusively to VMUG Advantage subscribers.