VMworld Countdown: 27 Days!
This update will be a longer one. It has been two weeks since my last update and I have been very busy covering both coasts with California and Florida!
Last week I had the privilege of spending some time with VMware Executives, Sanjay Poonen, Brett Shirk and Frank Rauch. Sanjay delivered the keynote at one of our partner sales conference. It is always inspiring and exciting to hear Sanjay’s delivery. Of course, he shared with us some of the upcoming announcements at VMworld. As always, it is going to be a big event. Even the VMworld Party will be held at the T-Mobile Arena on August 30th! This is a huge arena where they have all kinds of concerts/sporting events including of course the Mayweather-McGregor fight the weekend before. So, don’t miss it! Limited Hotel Availability: Please register for VMworld ASAP and book your hotel reservations. Hotels in Las Vegas are near capacity.
VMworld Parties/Events. If you’re looking for things to do after the sessions, take a look at these lists here for parties and events:
- Official VMworld Party will be performed by Blink-182 and Bleachers
- VMworld 2017 (Las Vegas) Gatherings : List
- VMworld 2017 US – all parties, gatherings, events and activities
- #VMworld 2017 US Party List
And don’t forget to use these hashtags when you post to your social channels:
- #vmworld – VMworld 2017
- #vmworldHOL – VMware Hands-On Labs at VMworld
- #vmworld3word – 3-word social posts
- #vmworldselfie – selfie photos
- #VMwarePEX – Partner Exchange
TESTDRIVE Demo Portal:
Just as a reminder, as a VMware SE or Partner SE you have access to our TestDrive Demo Portal to show EUC (Horizon/AirWatch) to your customers. You can sign up for TestDrive here: https://portal.vmwdemo.com/
Video from my colleague, Tim Sandy to get you started: https://youtu.be/vh9hRKjsVI4
Once you’re in you’ll also see lots of walkthrough tutorials: http://support.vmtestdrive.com/
BIG RELEASE NEWSFLASH: VMware Announces General Availability of vSphere 6.5 Update 1 – It’s here! Upgrade Now!!
I know many of you wait until Update 1 to upgrade. We have been trained by other software vendors with their buggy releases. 🙂 Well, it’s here. Time to tell customers to upgrade to vSphere 6.5. A recap of key capabilities offered in vSphere 6.5 can be found here. Summary of Update 1 features:
- vSphere Client Now Supports 90% of General Workflows
- vCenter Server Foundation Now Support 4 Hosts
- vSphere Support and Interoperability Across Ecosystems
- vSphere 6.5 General Support Has Been Extended
- Upgrade from vSphere 6.0 Update 3 Now Supported
What’s inside VMware vSphere 6.5 Update 1 including the following products:
- VMware vCenter Server 6.5 U1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 U1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSphere Replication 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware Tools 10.1.10 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vRealize Orchestrator Plug-In for vSphere Replication 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSAN Management SDK 6.6.1 [Download]
- VMware vSAN Witness Appliance 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware vSphere Virtual Disk Development Kit 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware vSphere Web Client SDK 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware Identity Manager 2.9.2 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware Site Recovery Manager 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- Louisiana OTS Takes Advantage of VMware NSX – VMware today announced that the State of Louisiana Office of Technology Services (OTS) is taking advantage of VMware NSX® and VMware Cross-Cloud Architecture™ to transform security and modernize data center operations as part of a statewide cloud transformation initiative. VMware is empowering OTS with a common operating model that spans both private and public clouds to..
- Who Will Be At Top Of Storage World Next Decade? – Data storage regardless of if hardware, legacy, new, emerging, cloud service or various software defined storage (SDS) approaches are all fundamental resource components of data infrastructures along with compute server, I/O networking as well as management tools, techniques, processes and procedures.
- @FedScoop surveyed gov #IT workers and ask what is impeding workforce productivity – A new FedScoop study shows government technology users believe they could gain four or more hours of productivity per week if they had access to virtual digital workspaces. An online survey of FedScoop readers in April 2017, underwritten by VMware, explored government use of computers and mobile devices, identifying top friction factors impeding government worker …
- How Customers Use VMware’s NSX (Hint: It’s Not Just a Security Use Case) – VMware’s NSX customers use the network virtualization technology for security, automation, multi-data center pooling, and disaster recovery.
- Mitigating Malware Attacks with a NSX enabled Zero Trust Network – Mitigating Malware Attacks with a NSX enabled Zero Trust Network By Christopher Frenz, Director of Infrastructure, Interfaith Medical Center – Introduction Open up any newspaper or watch any news broadcast and you are bound to be inundated with titles like…
- Three Square Market becomes first US company to offer implanted microchips to all employees – TechRepublic – The company’s biochip RFID hand implants will allow employees to open doors, login to computers, and buy snacks in the break room.
- How a fish tank helped hack a casino – A hacker used a fish tank to hack into a casino, which could change the way IoT technology is handled by businesses.
- Private vs Public Cloud Costs: Surprising 451 Research Results – Some amazing news coming out of a new study by 451 Research around Private vs Public Cloud Costs. This just published study found that 41% of IT Decision makers feel that their Private Cloud implementation is cheaper than that of a “like for like” Public Cloud environment. Another 24% of respondents indicated that they were..
- vSAN 6.6.1 with VUM Integration – “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Clare Booth Luce. This is a timeless idea that could not be more true when it comes to software design. It’s one of the reasons why so many IT organizations are looking to replace complex infrastructures requiring the expertise of storage, networking and compute professionals with HCI solutions.
- Introducing vSAN 6.6.1 and New Operational Savings – Today, VMware vSphere 6.5 Update 1 became generally available. With this update we are excited to announce vSAN 6.6.1, which adds even more new features on top of the major vSAN 6.6 release that launched only a few months back. Hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) powered by vSAN will now benefit from even lower operational costs and accelerated
- vSphere 6.5 Update 1 – Under the Hood – I’m excited to announce that vSphere 6.5 Update 1 is now available and it has some great enhancements. While we have seen 5 patch releases so far, 6.5 Update 1 rolls all of those updates together as well as includes some long awaited functionality. Without further ado, let’s take a look under the hood
- New releases, updates for vSphere and related – Yesterday was a big day on the release front. A lot of vSphere and related products received updates. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the large number of fixes in the various products and components. If you look at the release notes it…
- vRealize Business for Cloud (vRBC) 7.3 – Whats New Technical Blog – On June 13, 2017, VMware released an updated version of its vRealize Business for Cloud 7.3 solution. VMware vRealize Business for Cloud automates cloud costing analysis, consumption metering, cloud comparison and planning, delivering the cost visibility and business insights you need to run your cloud more efficiently. Below is a summary of what’s new in this release..
- VMworld 2017 is THE place to learn about VMware Cloud on AWS – VMworld is an incredible opportunity to network with your peers and make new connections, get direct experience and training with hands-on labs and discover new product breakthroughs.e Cloud on AWS. Sign up for 100+ sessions & TechTalks – register..
- Does AWS Plan to Battle Google Using Kubernetes? – Amazon Web Services may build a cloud container management tool based on Kubernetes to try to win Google customers over to AWS’ public cloud.
- New Technical White Paper – VMware Horizon Apps Performance Reference Architecture – VMware Horizon Apps provides a single platform for delivering virtualized Windows applications and shared desktop sessions from Windows Server instances using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS). With Horizon Apps, you can publish business-critical Windows apps alongside SaaS and mobile apps in a single digital workspace, easily accessed with single sign-on from any authenticated device or OS. This white paper provides a reference architecture for Horizon Apps Advanced Edition, which…