What a crazy week we had! First, the New York City terror on the West Side. I had many friends that went to Stuyvesant and I know the area well. That trail is usually very crowded with lots of pedestrians. Then, we had the church incident last night near San Antonio, Texas. What is this world coming to? We have way too many crazies running around! For those of you still looking to get your hands on an iPhone X before the 3-4 weeks delivery time, you may want to check your local Apple store from time to time. They are stocking them on a daily basis. I’m looking to purchase one for my cousin in Taiwan. You can monitor the availability on this website.
Last week I attended a VMware Cloud on AWS Partner Enablement workshop for some Early Access Partners. It was a joint session with Amazon. I got to meet some of my AWS peers whom I will be working with closer to help our partners on-board with this new offering. We shared many of our roadmap for our next release and beyond. This is just the beginning. There is so much great features coming out to tackle business requirements coming soon!
In the world of VMware, we made a huge acquisition of VeloCloud. With the addition of VeloCloud’s industry-leading SD-WAN technology, we will be able to extend the VMware NSX approach of automated, secure, and infrastructure-independent networking to the WAN.” We already see companies like Brooks Brothers trading in MPLS for SD-WAN in 278 Stores. There are two things that SD-WAN solves:
- Reduce Costs – Eliminate Branch router, dedicated circuit and maintenance costs, remote install
- WAN Efficiency – SaaS and internet traffic gets directed at the branch level instead of traversing to the data center
Are your customers ready to save some money and drive efficiency? Absolutely!
Below from Linda Hummel, APO Partner Enablement:
November Dates To Remember
- Nov 16: vSphere 6.5 Install and Upgrade Troubleshooting Webinar (customers and partners)
- Nov 16: VTSP-NV Boot Camp/Reston, VA
- Nov 28-29: VMware Horizon 7: Upgrading to Horizon 7 – BETA Course, Live Online
- Top Gun Tuesday (for Partner Sales): Q4 Series Coming Soon
- Top Gun Tech Thursday (for Partner Technical Teams): Q4 Series Coming Soon
November vmLIVE Event Calendar
- Network Virtualization and Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Competency Requirement Changes Now LIVE: NV FAQ and HCI FAQ
- Advantage+ ELA Rebate Increase
- Workspace ONE Standard and Advanced now eligible for EPP/HPP/SPP credits
- GoHybrid Assessment Campaign (extended through Nov 30)
- HCI Kits: Channel Partners Qualify for 30% AD+ for the entire bundle (both vSphere and vSAN)
- Hit Refresh Program Now Live
- NEW VMware vSphere Beta: Indicate Your Interest!
- NEW VSP Accreditations Available:
- Now Available: VMware Certified Design Expert 7 — Cloud Management and Automation (VCDX7-CMA)
- NEW Course Available: VMware NSX: Troubleshooting and Operations [V6.3]
- vSphere Central: Everything technical you need to know about vSphere and vCenter
- vSphere 6.5 Topology and Upgrade Planning Tool
- vSphere 6.5 Upgrade Resources
- NOW Available: Partner Exchange Content
- Cloud Services HOL is now LIVE
- A Brave New World: Pat Gelsinger Leads VMware Into The Multi-Cloud Era
- The Future of Cyber Security: What Partners Need to Know
- VMware Cloud on AWS Pricing
- Configuring Hybrid Linked Mode (HLM) for VMware Cloud on AWS
- Updated VMware Cloud Foundation Planner
- NSX Logical Views – Cheat Sheet
- NSX-T Container Plug-in for OpenShift – Installation and Administration Guide
- VMware Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure—Now Available and Technical Insights
- 2min Video: Google and VMware: A Vision for Productive & Mobile Employees
- vSAN 6.6.1 Quick Facts Sheet
- Operationalizing vSAN: Recommendations for effective management of vSAN
- vRealize Automation 7.3 Plug-In for ITSM – Service Now 3.0: Step by Step Guide
Solution Enablement Toolkits Partner Cheat Sheet ; Follow on Twitter @VMware_SETs
VMUG Virtual User Conference 2017 – December 13th, 2017, 9AM-5PM
Now for a Summary of VMware News Update from this past week.
- How to Create a Multi-Cloud Strategy – A common challenge our customers face is how to manage all the different kinds of cloud activity in their organization. Reg Lo, Director Advisory Services, provides insights in governing, managing and securing multiple clouds based on real-world VMware experience.
- VMware Celebrates 10,000 vSAN Customers -Learn how 10,000 organizations are now leveraging the revolutionary possibilities and solving traditional IT challenges with a new IT/storage approach delivered by VMware vSAN.
- Corporate innovation- the next chapter of digital transformation – Digital transformation and corporate innovation are two of the biggest trends in business modernization today. For the last several years, I’ve dedicated research to each subject separately to track their progress. In 2017, I conducted a global survey where I merged these research streams into my annual “State of Digital Transformation” series. The goal was …
- Hackers Hit Pizza Hut’s Ordering while breaches expose 30 Million South Africans – The catchily dubbed the KRACK attack, a flaw in a protocol that encrypts Wi-Fi networks, and reports that hackers stole Microsoft’s database of bugs in 2013 nabbed headlines but that’s not all that happened in cyberspace. Here’s what else went on in Threatwatch, Nextgov‘s regularly updated index of cyber events. Pizza Hut Website, Mobile App Burned by Hackers
- How CIOs Can Catalyze Change, Manage Expectations – The ubiquity of mobile devices today means business leaders feel increasingly comfortable with technology, which often places new demands on CIOs. Part of the job now entails educating peers about what can realistically be expected of IT while also helping to foster business transformation.
- Why Cloud is Now Ready for the Banking Mainstream -Banks need to stay ahead of the game. The pace of change is increasing all the time. Think of some of the technologies that have transformed all of our lives in the last 100 years—the telephone, powered flight, credit cards, even electricity itself. All of these took at least 20 years or more to reach their first 50 million people.
- 10 Things To Know Before Starting with NSX-T – NSX-T 2.0 is available for 2 months now and I thought I could share a few tips and information you should know before starting with NSX-T.
- What Every vSphere Admin Must Know About VMware Tools – The latest technical resources to help vSphere Administrators manage the lifecycle of VMware Tools
- Oracle RAC on VMware Cloud on Amazon AWS -With the recent launch of the VMware Cloud on AWS Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) from VMware, many Business Critical Application (BCA) workloads that were previously difficult to deploy in the cloud no longer require significant platform modifications. This joint demo between VMware and AWS presented at VMworld 2017 uses an Oracle RAC Database for high-availability zero-downtime client connection failover, supporting a Django-Python application running in a Native AWS Elastic Beanstalk environment.
- Network Ports in Horizon 7 – The VMware Horizon 7 Network Ports document lists port requirements for connectivity between the various components and servers in a Horizon 7 deployment. Included are detailed Horizon 7 Network Ports diagrams. Links from the thumbnail diagrams take you to larger PDF layouts of the diagrams that are high resolution and ready for printing as posters. Each subset of the main diagram focuses on a particular connection type and display protocol use.
- Review: The best Linux distros for Docker and containers -Alpine Linux, CoreOS Container Linux, RancherOS, Red Hat Project Atomic, and VMware Photon OS compared
- Announcing Version 2.0 of Project Photon OS – By Steve Hoenisch, Technical and Marketing Communications, VMware We’re pleased to announce version 2.0 of Project Photon OS. Photon OS is an open source Linux operating system optimized for containers, cloud-native applications, public cloud platforms and VMware infrastructure. The operating system helps you securely build, test, run and manage containerized applications. Here are some highlights